Monday, October 10, 2011

The Color Psychic

So, throughout my ADD design career, I have to say that I've mastered at least one aspect of the cumulative manic studies and field work that I'm pretty proud of.  My personal color intuition.  Without regret or question, I am able to sensibly and swiftly create a color schedule/scheme for an entire room, home, office or entire building.  Need 20 colors in a flash...I've got your back!  I don't know what or why but I'm told a lot that my sense of color and spectrum combination is genius.  Well, I was told that at least twice! 


Here are my recommendations for picking the perfect colors:


1.  You must love it (even if it's white).  This is my only rule for everything!!!
2.  Always get yourself the smallest amount of the color offered by the brand name or company and paint (at least) a 12"x12" piece of cardboard if you're unsure.  Then live with it for a day or so to be sure. 
3.  I consistently recommend that clients chose a shade on a color wheel or chart and then go one shade lighter.  Color changes with shadows and light and is generally darker or brighter than it appears on a small chip.  Blues and yellows are especially tricky.
4.  Don't be afraid of using color in less conventional areas than walls.  Think of painting trim, ceilings, doors or even the floor!
5.  If you have no direction, try to find some inspiration...it's all around you!





Some of my color inspirations!


No comments:

Post a Comment